Doubt regarding serialVersionUID in IntrusiveEdge.java and DefaultEdge.java

Doubt regarding serialVersionUID in IntrusiveEdge.java and DefaultEdge.java

apoorv
Hi, I read the code in IntrusiveEdge.java and DefaultEdge.java under the package org.jgrapht.graph. I found that both classes have a variable serialVersionUID declared as private static final long and contains the same value even though the class DefaultEdge is a sublass of IntrusiveEdge class. Couldn't we declare serialVersionUID to be protected in IntrusiveEdge class and remove it from the DefaultEdge class?