Fibonacci heap vs binary heap

solowd
I'm aware that the Fibonacci heap is asymptotically better, but there's a common perception that binary heaps run faster in many applications.

For example, the answers to this question on stackoverflow.

I noticed that JGraphT uses a Fibonacci heap for the ClosestFirst iterator.  Has anyone done testing to compare the performance of binary heaps to the Fibonacci heap in this iterator? I'm especially interested in testing with sparse graphs (as my application doesn't care about dense graphs).

I'll do some tests myself later on, but I'm curious if anyone has already thought this through.

Thanks.