Fwd: [jgrapht-developers] Hello, have some questions about porting the project

Fwd: [jgrapht-developers] Hello, have some questions about porting the project

Timmy Jose

-------- Beginning of forwarded message --------
27.07.2020, 07:21, "Timmy Jose" <[hidden email]>:

Hello all,

I came across jgrapht, and have been playing around with it for a few hours now.

I have a question about the licensing aspects of writing a port/derivative work using some of the APIs of jgrapht. Looking at the licensing page, suppose I decided to choose LGPL 2.1, can anyone:
   1. Confirm that a port/using the APIs with custom implementation in a different language (from Java, that is) is all right?
   2. Point to to a resource about what exactly I would need to include in my derivative work to be compliant with the licensing terms?

Thanks!

Timmy
,,

-------- End of forwarded message --------

Re: Fwd: [jgrapht-developers] Hello, have some questions about porting the project

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 7:54 AM Timmy Jose <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Timmy,

Nice to hear from you.

I have a question about the licensing aspects of writing a port/derivative work using some of the APIs of jgrapht. Looking at the licensing page, suppose I decided to choose LGPL 2.1, can anyone:
   1. Confirm that a port/using the APIs with custom implementation in a different language (from Java, that is) is all right?

It would depend on how your port is to be licensed.  If you redistributed it as LGPL (or GPL), there should be no issue.  In fact, that's what we've done (keeping the EPL dual licensing as well) with the recently released Python bindings:

Those build on top of an underlying C api, which is not a port, but rather a wrapper for the native code compiled ahead of time from Java via GraalVM:

So...maybe instead of all the work of porting, you might want to consider using the above to create bindings for whatever language you're interested in (and perhaps sharing that with the community)?

If your port were redistributed under a different license, that would be something to discuss with a lawyer, of which I am not one.

Re: Fwd: [jgrapht-developers] Hello, have some questions about porting the project

Timmy Jose
Hello John,

Thank you for the very helpful response!

Yes, licence-wise, going the way of LGPL should be quite okay for the library I have in mind. :-)

That being said, you do make a very good point of providing a language binding for the C API - both in terms of being much less work, but also being able to keep in sync with jgrapht core. I will have to seriously consider this option in lieu of going for a full port from scratch.

Thank you for sharing the links. I will play around with them a bit and mull over best approach!

Best Regards,

Timmy