Quantcast

JGraph documentation?

Daniels, Troy (US SSA)

Hello,

I am trying to use JGraphT and JGraph to display some graphs.  I found jgraph.jar in the jgrapht distribution, but I am having trouble finding information about jgraph on the web.  http://jgraph.org appears to have two products: mxGraph and JGraphX, neither of which corresponds to the jar in the JgraphT distribution.

Is this somewhere obvious, or did JGraph move on to a new format and JGraphT is associated with an abandoned project?  If there is another way to visualize the graphs, I am happy to move to that, but I don’t see any other adapters in the documentation.

Troy

Re: JGraph documentation?

Joris Kinable
Hi Troy,

I'm not sure whether I understand your question entirely correct. JgraphT is a package which mainly focusses on graph algorithms. It contains some basic graph visualization support. See for an example: http://jgrapht.org/visualizations.html
JgraphX is a different library. Its main focus is on graph visualization. See for example the 'Hello world' example of jgraphx: https://github.com/jgraph/jgraphx/blob/master/examples/com/mxgraph/examples/swing/HelloWorld.java

You can choose which package you want to use for the visualization. I personally prefer to use JgraphT for the algorithms, and to use JgraphX for the visualization. An added benefit for JgraphX is the support for a number of listeners and layout managers.

br,

Joris

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Daniels, Troy (US SSA) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to use JGraphT and JGraph to display some graphs.  I found jgraph.jar in the jgrapht distribution, but I am having trouble finding information about jgraph on the web.  http://jgraph.org appears to have two products: mxGraph and JGraphX, neither of which corresponds to the jar in the JgraphT distribution.

Is this somewhere obvious, or did JGraph move on to a new format and JGraphT is associated with an abandoned project?  If there is another way to visualize the graphs, I am happy to move to that, but I don’t see any other adapters in the documentation.

Troy

Re: JGraph documentation?

Sebastian Müller
Hi Troy,

I wonder if the jgraph.jar is only there to enable saving your JGraphT graph in JGraph(X) format. I don't think it's possible to visualize your graph directly from JGraphT, but you can certainly use the JGraphModelAdapter to save your graph and then open it with JGraphX.

Other than that, I recommend JUNG: http://jung.sourceforge.net/. It's not as polished as JGraphX, but powerful nonetheless. Save your graph in .dot format and load it into your JUNG program. I have some code snippets for that at work, if you need help with that.

Sebastian

Am 11.10.2013 00:33, schrieb Daniels, Troy (US SSA):

Hello,

I am trying to use JGraphT and JGraph to display some graphs.  I found jgraph.jar in the jgrapht distribution, but I am having trouble finding information about jgraph on the web.  http://jgraph.org appears to have two products: mxGraph and JGraphX, neither of which corresponds to the jar in the JgraphT distribution.

Is this somewhere obvious, or did JGraph move on to a new format and JGraphT is associated with an abandoned project?  If there is another way to visualize the graphs, I am happy to move to that, but I don’t see any other adapters in the documentation.

Troy

October Webinars: Code for Performance

Re: JGraph documentation?

Daniels, Troy (US SSA)

I was looking at JGraphAdapterDemo in org.jgrapht.demo.  It creates a JGraphT object and then displays it via JGraph.  The front page at http://jgrapht.org/ also says:

Other features offered by JGraphT:

·             graph visualization using the JGraph library (try this demo!)

So it seemed that JGraphT and JGraph were the default coupling for working with and displaying a graph.  Is that not correct?

Troy

Re: JGraph documentation?

That is correct.  With the last released version on sourceforge, if you unpack it and run

java -jar jgrapht-jdk1.6.jar

you should see the visualization pop up in a window.

I'm not sure about the latest state on github since one of the blockers for the next release is to make sure that we still have packaging equivalent to the last release, and there were many changes as part of moving to mvn for the build.

There's also an open pull request for JGraphX:

If someone wants to take a first pass on reviewing that, we can work together on getting it committed.

JVS