Licensing: Dual license JGraphT under EPL and LGPL

Licensing: Dual license JGraphT under EPL and LGPL

Oliver Kopp
Dear JGraphT users and developers,

Currently, the JGraphT project is released under the LGPL. The Eclipse Software Foundation, however, decided to disallow LGPL libraries in their projects (http://mmilinkov.wordpress.com/2009/04/30/lgpl-pain/). A similar issue applies for projects under the umbrella of the Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html).

As a reciprocal license, LGPL requires anyone redistributing JGraphT to publish any source code changes they make. As the Eclipse Public License (EPL) also requires this, and is compatible with the regulations of the Apache Software Foundation ("Category B: Reciprocal Licenses" in http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html), it seems like a good choice for resolving the incompatibilities. Hence we've started this initiative to dual license JGraphT under LGPL and EPL. This has been successfully done for the Logback project (http://logback.qos.ch/license.html) and the qooxdoo project (http://qooxdoo.org/license).

It is not proposed to relicense JGraphT under BSD, MIT, or Apache 2.0 license as it is acknowledged that the original authors may want modifications of their code being published, and these kind of licenses do not enforce that.

All in all, we propose to relicense JGraphT under the following terms:

--cut--
JGraphT Licensing Information
=============================

JGraphT may be used under the terms of either the

  * GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) 2.1
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html

or the

  * Eclipse Public License (EPL)
    http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/epl-v10.php

As a recipient of JGraphT, you may choose which license to receive the code
under.
--end--

This also includes future commits. Contributions will only be accepted with the understanding that the contributor's code will be released under both licenses and that a user may freely choose between one of the licenses.

Contributions to JGraphT have up to this point been LGPL-only, with no Copyright License Assignment (CLA) required from contributors. As such, relicensing requires seeking the consent of all contributors (or possibly removing contributions for which such consent has been withheld). We will make a best effort to contact all past contributors and request their consent. JGraphT has a long history (going back ten years to 2003), including many small contributions from one-time contributors. If we don't hear back from someone within a few months, we'll assume Qui tacet consentiret. Until copyright expiration, this may leave a very small amount of unavoidable legal risk for those who choose to rely on the EPL licensing option. There is no risk for those who continue to use JGraphT under the LGPL option.

We collected all contributors from the git authors, from the authors and contributors listed in each java file, and from CONTRIBUTORS.md. These are 65 persons. We will try to find out the contact data of everyone and ask them if they agree to additionally license their work under EPL.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Greetings,

Oliver and John

Re: Licensing: Dual license JGraphT under EPL and LGPL

Hey everyone, Oliver has also posted this information on a wiki page:

https://github.com/jgrapht/jgrapht/wiki/Relicensing

If you have opinions on this effort, let's discuss them here on the
mailing list while we're in the process of contacting contributors,
which is going to take a while.

Thanks!
JVS

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 1:26 AM, Oliver Kopp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> including many small contributions from one-time contributors. If we don't
> hear back from someone within a few months, we'll assume Qui tacet
> consentiret. Until copyright expiration, this may leave a very small amount
> of unavoidable legal risk for those who choose to rely on the EPL licensing
> option. There is no risk for those who continue to use JGraphT under the
> LGPL option.
>
> We collected all contributors from the git authors, from the authors and
> contributors listed in each java file, and from CONTRIBUTORS.md. These are
> 65 persons. We will try to find out the contact data of everyone and ask
> them if they agree to additionally license their work under EPL.
>
> Looking forward to hearing your opinion.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Oliver and John

Re: Licensing: Dual license JGraphT under EPL and LGPL

Nearly two months later, the status is as follows:
(See also https://github.com/jgrapht/jgrapht/wiki/Relicensing)

Total unique contributors: 58
No rejections.
Pending answers: 8

>From the remaining 8, I think, I have not guessed the right contact
data. Does anyone of you know

 * Avner Linder
 * Harshal Vora
 * Holger Brandl
 * Khanh Vu
 * Lucas J. Scharenbroich
 * Michael Behrisch
 * Tim Engler
 * George Paschos

Feel free to write me a private message to avoid circulating personal
details in the web!

Thank you in advance and greetings,

Oliver