feature request/help: save (huge) graph to image file

feature request/help: save (huge) graph to image file

Ícaro Cavalcante Dourado
Hi there,

I have been using JGraphT in my research project it has been great for me!
I used to create and manipulate graphs well, so as ploting then using JGraphXAdapter API together with java.swing.JFrame. While this works well, I currently need to save the graph plots as PNG files.
I managed how to do it just fine, but I have problems when the graphs get too large. The plot seems fine, but the way I perform exporting to png failures when the graphs are large.
I have already asked for this in: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32641766/export-huge-jframe-to-file

Does JGraphT have any built-in solution to save a org.jgrapht.Graph directly to image file? Have you guys experienced any problems related to that?

Thanks in advance!
Icaro Cavalcante Dourado

Re: feature request/help: save (huge) graph to image file

Joris Kinable
I'm not behind my computer so it's hard to check any solutions, but here is something you could do:
export the graph using the DOT exporter. Pretty much any graphical graph package can read the DOT format. Additionally, I believe there is a CSV format in one of the pull requests in case DOT isn't supported by the package. Visualizing large graphs is a very hard, dedicated, research area on its own.

Btw, the new versions of JGraphT also support exporting to PDF.

I wasn't able to look at your stackoverflow post at the moment, but think about *how* you want to visualize your graph. If you have >100 vertices, what would be a good visualization such that the resulting graph is actually informative? For very large graphs, it is usually better to give specific statistics about the graph, e.g. degree of connectivity, diameter, special structures such as planar, etc.

br,

Joris