website

Hey all,

After 15 years of the same ol' HTML, we're planning to modernize the JGraphT website and move it over to our Jekyll infrastructure.  We're looking for ideas on how the new site should look, so if you see an open source project whose site you like, and you think it would serve as a good model for JGraphT's site, please reply with a link here.  Bonus points if it's in markdown on github.  If anyone wants to help with styling or coming up with a real logo, that would be a big plus too.

Re: website

Chris K Wensel
I don’t have any style ideas…

but I did re-design my sites using Hugo recently. there are some templates that may work.

and I host for free via https://www.netlify.com, and its easy to get TLS/SSL certs also for free.

write in markdown, push to github, the site gets generated and pushed online.

ckw

On Jul 2, 2018, at 11:02 AM, John Sichi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey all,

After 15 years of the same ol' HTML, we're planning to modernize the JGraphT website and move it over to our Jekyll infrastructure.  We're looking for ideas on how the new site should look, so if you see an open source project whose site you like, and you think it would serve as a good model for JGraphT's site, please reply with a link here.  Bonus points if it's in markdown on github.  If anyone wants to help with styling or coming up with a real logo, that would be a big plus too.

Re: website

Oliver Kopp-2

> After 15 years of the same ol' HTML, we're planning to modernize the JGraphT
> website and move it over to our Jekyll infrastructure.

In other projects, we think of moving from Jekyll to readthedocs.io.
Example site: https://java-object-diff.readthedocs.io/en/latest/.
Content still hosted on GitHub. Free of charge. - The use MkDocs
(https://www.mkdocs.org/) instead of Jekyll. - Seeing the current
homepage and the community consuming the homepage (developers, not end
users), I would really recommend that way.

For simple projects on a single page, we surely stay on Jekyll.
Example page: https://adr.github.io/. Source:
https://github.com/adr/adr.github.io/blob/master/index.md. We modified
the slate theme to have sticky headings: https://github.com/adr/slate

For complex single pages, we use a variant of the "SinglePaged" theme
by t413 (https://github.com/t413/SinglePaged). Rendered variant at:
http://www.jabref.org/

> coming up with a real logo

For JabRef, we found our new logo via https://en.99designs.de/. It's
not that cheap (https://en.99designs.de/pricing), but really worth the
money. We used the cheapest package in JabRef (as far as I remember:
Bronze, 259€), but it was really worth the money.

Cheers,

Oliver

Re: website

Thanks for the suggestions Chris and Oliver!  The SinglePaged theme looks like a good place to start.

I've used 99designs before with good results; if we have some funds left over from the Google Summer of Code org stipend, we'll use that to pay for the logo.